Back pain is one of the major factors of disability around the world. The problem we all face is the lack of resources to gain access to facilities that help cure this chronic disease. Most of the time, the treatments and medical costs could go up to more than 2 million. Furthermore, the majority of the patients who suffer from this condition tend to have no extra medical benefits from their employers or health insurance. Hence, the government of Ontario has decided to take matters into their own hands by offering a program helping patients with chronic back pain across more than five care sites in Ontario. That way, patients can gain the access they need to take care of their health.
The PCLBP program funded by the government provides support to the primary care professional teams, community health centers, nurse practitioner-led clinics, and family health teams. These professional teams were created to deliver coordinated and efficient care for patients suffering from any form of back pain.
The professionals involved in this program include muscle, joint, and spine experts, for instance, physiotherapists, chiropractors, physical therapists, registered massage therapists, and kinesiologists, working directly with clients.
When a nurse practitioner or physician recommends the PCLBP program to a patient, the patient will be engaged with a professional, such as a chiropractor with the following aspects:
- Able to assess and diagnose low back pain.
- Design a proper care plan based on evidence and research.
- Recommends them to other members that are part of the team for regular treatment, for example, a special therapy exercise program or spinal manipulation therapy.
Back in 2015, the Ontario Ministry of Health created the Primary Care Low Back Pain program and can be found at these seven sites situated in Ontario:
- TAIBU Community Health Centre
- Mount Forest, Minto-Mapleton Family, and East Wellington Health Team
- Centre de santé communautaire de l’Estrie and Glengarry NPLC
- Shkagamik-Kwe Health Centre
- Belleville Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinic
- Couchiching Family Health Team
- Essex Court NPLC & City Centre Health Care
Benefits of The PCLBP Program
PCLBP programs would be best for patients who frequently suffer from other health conditions, such as addictions, hypertension, or diabetes. This includes patients who fall under the lower-income tier and are unable to receive extended benefits of health care. These patients would not be unable to get the right care needed to cure their low back pain without the help of this program. Of course, there are several other programs available on the internet such as the Back in Action Program by Kimberly Clark. However, those under the lower income rage may not be able to afford such programs.
The government-funded PCLBP program based in Ontario was launched to:
- Enhance the experience of these patients and produce better results
- Prevent any unnecessary MRI tests and diagnostic imaging
- Prevent any unnecessary recommendations to certain specialists
Impact of the PCLBP Program
Based on recent surveys, we found that the PCLBP program helps patients in many ways:
- Achieved a rate of 94 percent by patients who were satisfied with the overall program, including the treatments and assessments
- Achieved a rate of 93 percent by patients who managed to improve their quality of life
- Achieved a rate of 87 percent by patients who without the help of this program, can get access to treatment
- Achieved a rate of 83 percent by patients who rely on medications lesser and instead on the treatments and assessment gave through this program
Aside from that, patients can reduce the use of diagnostic imaging as well as emergency rooms.
How To Apply For The PCLBP Program
To be entitled to the PCLBP Program, you have to either have any back pain or symptoms, as well as an existing patient from one of the primary care teams or live around the area of the sites.
Note: If you don’t have access to extended health care, this program will be free of charge for you.
To apply, book your appointment with a nurse practitioner or a family doctor to ask for a referral for the PCLBP program. Once you’ve been referred, you can get one of the professionals to access and diagnose you while providing the necessary treatment and education.